Re: Why Elektra is the wrong approach (Was Re: The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management)

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, David Zeuthen wrote:

In particular we don't need a all-generic system like Elektra here. And
you really want your web server process (e.g. httpd) to know that it
reads configuration from the remote end to fix all the corner cases in a
nice way.

Here is where we disagree. What you are proposing is a network configuration database which in certain cases I can certainly see the benefit. However it makes much more sense to standardize / unify configuration at the system level and then using a backend to export/import this data to LDAP. This eliminates the single point of failure, less over head, less complexity for normal case and only one program needs to be LDAP configuration aware.

I'm not saying this is easy. But I am saying we need to be a lot more
ambitious than e.g. Elektra. I agree this is a very difficult problem
space to navigate in, especially because of the very bazaar nature of
open source. It's definitely fixable if we get the right architecture
hashed out to begin with.

Here is where I think the disconnect is, I agree that a network configuration database is a good idea in theory. I just think the implementation you describe could be better. Elektra and any system designed to be a generic system level configuration engine shouldn't be any more ambitious then it needs to be. It would be easy to add the functionality you are talking about if fedora was 100% elektra enabled.

Cheers,
Shane