Re: Why Elektra is the wrong approach (Was Re: The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management)

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

You can't have several entities sharing the same object (here entities are
xorg and your mythical keyboard manufacturer). It *always* ends bad

.... and why is that? If an application is designed to allow an end user to update something then why not a vendor on the users behalf??

Microsoft got MANY things wrong, but I dare say keyboard vendors and their users have little to worry about on this front. Please give TECHNICAL reasons why this functionality is a bad idea, so far you have relied on subjective conjecture centered around how you THINK others will behave. It is not your or my place to limit functionality based on our opinions on if it will be used poorly or not. The fact is all of this cane be done today it is just very hard to do, this argument that making it easier for the user, programmer and vendor will some how create a social disaster rings hollow to me.

Cheers,
Shane