Re: The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, John W. Linville wrote:

Using a syntax that doesn't correspond to the semantics makes things
harder, not easier.

Can you give an example? Using a filesystem (i.e. directories, files and file contents) as the syntax for an applications semantics does not affect/decrease the relationship in any of the cases I can think of.

I don't know how I got the idea that you wanted to change configuration
file formats, then use new tools to make them human readable...

I think your idea or at least how you are presenting it is incorrect. This thread started with the idea of changing configuration file formats so obviously no one here is saying that is not what is being discussed. However I think your comment on human readable is misleading. There is nothing nonhuman readable or editable (using vim, sed etc...) about directories, files and plain text file content.

Cheers,
Shane