Re: fc4 ghost md5sums: a tale of woe

Matthew Miller wrote:
I realize that FC4 is unexciting these days, so this may not generate much
enthusiasm, but: how in the _world_ are you RH folks building updates for
Fedora Core 4?

The story:

We need to make some local modifications to some of the files in the 'setup'
package here at BU, and we were chasing ourselves in circles over making it
not conflict with /var/log/lastlog also owned by util-linux.

Both of these packages have that file as a %ghost file, and last September,
they were updated to have permissions of 0644. Specifically, there's

  %ghost %attr(0644,root,root) %verify(not md5 size mtime) /var/log/lastlog

in both files.

Okay, fine, that should work. And the packages in the FC4 updates area
indeed both install without conflict.

In my experience, that does *not* work. Sharing of files (whether their %ghost'd or not) *only* works if the original contents are *exactly* the same (timestamp, ownership, permissions, contents, md5sum, etc...).

-- Rex