Re: Fedora's way forward

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 16:30 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> David Zeuthen <david@xxxxxxxx>:
> > Tell me.. why you don't start a project aiming for better integration of
> > 3rd party repositories outside Fedora Core and Extras? I'm sure it can
> > be as simple as Alan outlined with the user just having to click a link
> > in his web browser and, badebing-badebum, all the stuff is installed.
> >
> > I encourage you to take this task upon you. I think it would be great!
>
> Would Fedora carry a script or application intended to make easy access
> to such third-party repositories available, even on the premise that they
> carry proprietary software?

I'm obviously not a lawyer but I think including scripts, links or
applications to do this in the OS would constitute "contributory
infringement". I may be wrong, IANAL.

The thinking was that the user, upon post-installation, goes to a web
page, clicks on a single link, OK's some dialogs, and everything is set
up correctly. One time pain, long time gain.

I cannot see why the Fedora developers would be opposed to this?  I
mean, it's not like it's possible to get by in the world with certain
pieces of software. At least not for me and without saying too much, I
think other Fedora developers share the same point of view. I could be
wrong though.

> If the answer is "yes", then I would in fact be willing to work on this.

If the answer above is satisfactory to you, I think this could be really
great and help move the free desktop forward.

I bet it involves some cooperation with the 3rd party repositories and
the Pirut software installation manager. It would be smashing to have
this in FC6.

Thanks!

    David