Re: Where is the kernel source package for FC5 GA?

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 19:25 -0500, Neil Cherry wrote:
Lamont R. Peterson wrote:
On Tuesday 28 March 2006 04:27pm, Neil Cherry wrote:
Allyn, Mark A wrote:
Hello:

I am trying to build kernel modules on a standard install
of Fedora Core 5 GA. I did select the development block
of packages.

However there do not seem to be any kernel sources available
to build kernel modules.

I tried yum and did a yum look for kernel-source and it came
up with nothing.

Where do I get enough of the kernel source to do compiles
of kernel driver modules?
I think it's called kernel-devel.xxxx Try:

yum search kernel-devel
Yup.  It is kernel-devel.

If you want to build modules (i.e. external modules) for Red Hat distros, install kernel-devel. If you want to build patched, custom kernels, get the SRPM.

Ah, so that's the difference. That was driving me totally nuts. I
couldn't figure out why I couldn't compile the kernel with the
devel package but I'm very successful (when I don't remove too
much) with the kernel sources.

We have all this information in the release notes which we spend many
many hours writing. So you might as well as read it.
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/#sn-Kernel

Thanks Rahul, I only found out about the release notes yesterday
when someone else mentioned them. I now know where they are and
will go visit them as I have a lot of questions. The kernel issue
has plagued me since FC2(? the first 2.6 kernel).

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site