Re: The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

If you look through the following, monster thread you'll find that
elektra is a bad choice for the desktop configuration api.  System and
desktop configuration requirements are different.  Also, the author of
that GConf comparison doesn't seem to understand the problems GConf is
attempting to solve which doesn't bode well for it ever displacing
GConf.

If I am not mistaken since that time elektra has developed its backends so that they can import/modify/export data from other systems like gconf so that gnome can continue to depend on gconf while users/admins can have a single method of modifying data.

In either case Elektra may very well not be the correct solution, but a technical solution does exist, it may just not of been found/developed yet. There is a problem to be solved here, I haven't heard anyone argue seriously to the contrary and this is by no means a new problem. The purpose of my original post was to start discussion on how that should would look and how we are going to get there in a realistic and reasonable way.

Shane.