Re: The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, sean wrote:

The original post by Shane mentioned the limitations of sed when trying to
modify config files.  My notion was of something slightly smarter than
sed that would have no idea of valid key names or values.  Just something,
that could parse a config file and spit out a slightly modified version.

My post was not targeting the limitations of SED per say rather the limitions any tool will have modifying a plain text file that has no predefined structure. The only improvement I can think of that would make sed easier to use is the ability to use "string of chars" for expressions instead of terminiating each metacharecter with a \

Shane