Assignment of internet keys / media buttons

Hi,

I'd like to know where to report problems with key mappings.

On my hardware (Dell Inspiron 6000) there are 'media buttons' (mute, vol+/-, play, next, prev, stop) which are detected as keypresses with an unmapped keycode.

I can find the keycodes using xev, then I can map them to something useful using xmodmap, then compatible applications (eg. rhythmbox) do the right thing when the buttons are pressed.

The first problem is that the keys are initially unmapped; a secondary problem is that some controls (eg. volume popup) don't respond to the volume keys when they probably should.

So, where can I tell someone about this mapping? Which package needs some extra config? I should be able to provide a patch.

-Cam

--
camilo@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                                 <--