Re: Anaconda: good work!

Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 10:12 -0500, Dimi Paun wrote:
First impression: anaconda really rocks! This is a
very solid, pleasant installer.

Thanks -- always nice to see people not just flaming us :-P

Very nice!!

  * Disk change indicators
    Not sure it's worth the trouble, but it would be
    really nice if we got some ticks along the progress
    bar on when we can expect we will need to change
    the CDs. This would also tell someone which CDs are
    needed. It would help people a lot to manage their
    time during installs.

This comes up from time to time, I'm just not fully convinced of how
useful it is.  One thing that we really probably need to look at for FC6
is revisiting the time remaining algorithm.  It seems that every few
releases we need to go in and really prod at it to make it more
accurate.  One of the not measurable things which has a pretty big
impact ends up being the various cache generators run as %post
scriptlets of packages.

Just an idea, instead of/in addition would it be possible to show the number of packages and update that? e.g. [19/725] or what ever RPM has available.