Re: The repository scoring problem - a proposal

Hi.

Horst von Brand <vonbrand@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > * I do not know if such a change can be made while retaining backwards
> >   compatibility to older RPM versions (if this is desired, that is)
>
> You are proposing a scheme that doesn't touch the RPM format itself, so
> I don't see how this would enter here.

The information has to be stored somewhere on disk after all. I do not
know enough about how RPM splits the information into it's various databases
to decide where this new information would go (and if it would affect
older RPM versions)

> * What if a package exists with the same name in different repositories?
>   Using one set of (coordinated) repositories prevents that today (and
> that is exactly the problem you are trying to solve...)

Yes, if there were no overlaps between repositories all of this would be
a non-issue.

--
The Law of Motivation
        Creativity is great, but plagiarism is faster.