Re: username best practices and other conventions

--On Thursday, March 02, 2006 4:21 PM +0000 Joe Desbonnet <jdesbonnet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think it's time to move beyond those traditional limits. At some
point we got over the 14 char file name limits, and the world is a
better place for it.

I use a lot of real usernames longer than 8 characters and my biggest issue is ugly ls output. How do others deal with that? Can you get ls to widen columns to the width needed to accommodate the widest token? (A similar problem occurs when listing a very large file, since the size overflows that column.)