Re: Yum plugin installonlyn packaging

Wesley Harrell wrote:

This question is specifically about the installonlyn plugin,
but is also a question regarding yum plugin packaging in general.

Currently I see the installonlyn plugin included in the fedora yum-2.5 srpm, but was expecting to see it in the extras yum-utils, since I have seen other plugins within the yum-utils including changelog and fastestmirror.

Is placing installonlyn within yum just a one off, or are certain plugins going to make it into yum, while others are in yum-utils? Currently it is a bit confusing, since I am expecting to look for plugins in yum-utils and would be more inclined to add a plugin to yum-utils, rather than yum.

Upstream yum package does not include any plugins by default. Placing installonlyn in the Yum package itself is a one off at this point since it was written by Jeremy Katz to provide this functionality by default since there are a large number of kernel updates in Fedora and removing older kernels is a FAQ in the Fedora lists and forums not to mention the space wastage and confusion with multiple kernels despite the GRUB menu hiding it but if there are other good plugins that are required by default, it might become part of Yum in Fedora Core rather than Yum-utils in Fedora Extras.

--
Rahul