Re: Bugzilla dupes attack

Paul A Houle wrote:

At 01:46 PM 2/14/2006, you wrote:

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 10:39, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Regardless of that bugzilla doesnt search closed reports by
> default. Search them by default would waste a lot of time and users
> generally care only about open bug reports.

I'm not so sure of that. I *always* search the closed bugs also. You can often find similar issues, or possibly something that was just closed... If the user isn't constantly updating their installed software, they may be running
into a bug that was already closed as resolved in a recent release.

It's a general guideline that the default search request should turn up *everything* that's possibly relevant. Yes, it's bad to get 50 items, 5 of which are relevant, but it's much worse to get 0 items when 7 are relevant... The latter is what you often see on site-specific search engines because people set the defaults too tight; people are so used to getting 0 results when they do a search on a site that they often don't even try search features embedded in a site.

As for the problem of open vs. closed bugs, there is a simple answer...

(i) Have a display, either on top or on the side, that says something like

13 bugs unassigned
17 bugs assigned
104 bugs resolved

people can click on the link to be directed to just a list of bugs with the above status.

Can you file a RFE against bugzilla and let me know the report number?

--
Rahul