Re: New GDM Login Theme

Ray Strode wrote:
If you want to use the new theme, you can
enable it by running /usr/sbin/gdmsetup and selecting the "Fedora
Bubbles" theme.
BTW, is there a particular reason why gdmsetup was removed from the menus, or is there a hint to mere mortals on how to find it? The more casual users of FC that I know always want to be automatically logged in and this is where they set it up. Even using alacarte, I couldn't find a menu item to re-enable, and until you sent this email, I couldn't find the utility to run it manually (I'd assumed it had been removed completely). I know we have to keep the menus from being overwhelming, but what's the point of a graphical interface to something if you have to go to a command prompt to use it?

A more relevant suggestion though... would it be possible to pull info from "About Me" to display owner information on the gdm screen. I've been thinking a lot about laptop security lately due to a number of thefts we've had, and I want to make it as complicated as possible for thieves to remove owner info from the unit. We're going to start locking the BIOS so you can't reinstall the OS without a password and then adding a custom boot-image in the BIOS that says "This laptop stolen from..." Adding owner info to gdm seems like another good way to keep casual thieves from profiting from their theft. It'll be a bit harder to break into an office, steal a laptop, and run to a pawnshop if half a dozen things pop up to indicate that it's not your laptop. Since most of our thieves are locals, we're hoping to convey the image that stealing our equipment is more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks
DC