Re: Proposed changes to Fedora Legacy Project

Michael Favia wrote:
Jesse Keating wrote:
When a give Fedora Core release enters "maintenance
mode", Fedora Legacy, the Community Maintenance Project, will take over
maintenance of the release for Security issues.

EOL is pretty "de facto" imo but perhaps "community maintenance mode" is a better descriptor because it is always only in "maintenance mode" after initial release as far as I understand.

I don't think that's true. FC4 saw a lot of non-security related updates (NetworkManager and kernels immediately jump to mind). My understanding is that when a release moves to legacy, it's basically just security fixes.

To echo Axel's comment in another thread, I think that once all the kinks are worked out, the key factor for users in the move to legacy status is the change from "active" maintenance to security-only maintenance. If that's the point that marketing and documentation focus on, I think we'll gradually move away from the mindset that "legacy means Red Hat doesn't help anymore."

DC