Re: RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Hi

Please don't take this as a flame - but why should users care about that part? You have a very valid point considering amount of work that RH engineers need to do, but to the outside workd, it sounds a lot like the "dog ate my homework" kinda excuse... Why should a Fedora user care about how much time RH spends on RHEL? After all, they are not using RHEL but Fedora - which RH so often states is a community project...
Which is precisely why they need to be concerned. This is not a product you demand features and updates from. Its a community project in which you get involved if you want to change things

What I can't judge is the amount of work that this creates. FC3 has received 11 new srpms since beginning of the year. If you extend the "official" support for FC3 by 2 or 3 more months until shortly after FC5 is out, how much more work would that really be?
Hell lot of work than it is typically estimated really.

I don't think that's the question. The question is more like "Do I want to be considered a legacy?"... Absolutely non-technical, but honestly - the word legacy has such a negative meaning in english for many people. In the perception of most users legacy systems only receive the most essential security updates and if you ask for support the techs will laugh and make comments "anyone still using that?"
We will rename it into Fedora Express project if thats a big deal. Dont get struck on a name.

I agree with the original poswer that - no matter if technically there is a good reason or not - people should be given a good choice of when to upgrade and to what release. Most people simply don't see staying with a legacy system as a choice.
You obsoletely have that choice merely by accepting that Fedora legacy is indeed a valid community project that continues to provides updates for years.

--
Rahul