Re: CD Eject

Hi

First, never yank a mounted USB device.  You can't do this on any OS
without possibly causing serious data loss. Because flash drives are
really slow and constantly writing to them can wear them out faster,
data is queued up and synced to device at regular intervals.  Yanking it
before a write can finish will damage the drive.
Right which is why Windows has a system tray message that says says remove devices or something similar. Might consider adopting a similar strategy of informing the user using libnotify and friends.

As for drives opening I would guess we could listen for the button press
and do an unmount/eject.  The question is do we get eject button signals
from the kernel.
This has been a often requested feature which has been dumbed down so far as not being the Unix way as if that really mattered on that desktop.