Re: bittorrent in core? what frontend?

Sean wrote:
On Mon, December 19, 2005 11:52 am, Paul Howarth said:

I've pushed an update to 4.2.2 earlier today. I'm not sure about
disabling the "updated version" check. On the one hand people should
only be updating the package using RPM, but on the other hand the alert
will let them know that a new version is available, and that might
prompt them to run "yum update" if they don't have automatic updates
turned on.

Great.  I must have just upgraded a bit before your push.

Which version of bittorrent are you using? Looking at the code, it looks to me that the update-checking code is only enabled for Windows and OSX unless the DEBUG flag is set.

As for the auto-update feature, the user already has utilities that notify
them when an update is available; why a special update notice for this one
little app?   Also, a naive user might not understand that they should
wait for the update to appear via their normal update process.   Also, an
admin might turn off the regular auto-updating for users and not know he
has to do something special to shut off this one app.

All in all, there are a lot of reasons that having a separate update
notification available for this app.

I now share the view that the new version check should be disabled. However, I've so far been unable to provoke the client into telling me about a new version, even though I've got an old one installed, so it's difficult to test any patch I make (which will certainly need testing since I'm not a python programmer).

Paul.