Re: bittorrent in core? what frontend?

On 12/16/2005 11:27 PM, Michael A. Peters wrote:
On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 16:23 -0500, Jack Tanner wrote:

John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

Not sure but I think the one in core should be the simplest.  Click on
a .torrent file and a nice little progress bar pops up to tell you the
status and perhaps sits in the notification area.  By all means though,
get Azureus to work and find someone to package it into extras.

I don't mean to get into "my favorite client is X" debate, but if we're picking something for core, I'd argue for picking a client that people really love.[1] I've never used Azureus, but by that reasoning, since Azureus is regularly on sf.net's most downloaded/highest activity lists, it's a good choice. The "safe but boring" default client is a bad choice.

Fedora focuses on Gnome.
For UI consistency - a gnome client is best imho.
A non gnome gtk client is acceptable.

Funny that Azureus uses SWT toolkit, which in turn uses GTK :-)

Java - I'm not a big fan. I've never tried Azureus - but the only
operating system I've ever used where gui java apps look even halfway
acceptable is OS X.

See Eclipse (SWT as well).

Granted, I'm not a big fan of many Java GUI apps -- people go too wild with "app has to look their way", which ends up in too many apps looking different :( (And I'm a Java developer myself.)

Regards,
Dariusz

___________________________________________________________ To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com