Re: Yum and SRPMs

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Sadda Teh wrote:

I'm thinking the "yum install --source packagename" would do the following:

1. Download src rpms and dependent libraries required for successfully
rebuilding the requested source download(s)

That's two distinct operations, of which one requires root privileges and the other one doesn't. And both of them exist already:
1) yumdownloader --source <packagename>
2) yum-builddep <packagename> (or the just downloaded src.rpm file)

2. Extract the the source tarball to some standard location so the developer
can cd to that dir and be able to immediately do a ./configure && make
without errors

That's not how you work with source rpm's. With the two above steps you can however do 'rpmbuild --rebuild <src.rpm-name>'. Or like others have mentioned, use mock for the building part.

I agree that having this functionality in yum may not be the best place.
But, since yum already handles dependency resolution, how hard would this
functionality really be to add? I just tried yumdownloader  --source and all
it did was download the src rpm to the current dir and nothing more. This is
one step removed from going to the FTP and downloading the file. I tried
yumdownloader --source yum-utils and it didn't even work. So it's clear
yumdownloader does not have the functionality I desire, nor the
functionality that it probably should have at a bare minimum (that is
finding src equivalents of binary packages).

"yumdownloader --source yum-utils" wont work out of the box, because the default yum setup doesn't include the SRPMS repositories for anything but initial core packages. You'll need to add a separate entry to yum.repos.d that includes extras SRPMS repo.

	- Panu -