Re: questions and issues about the modular X updates

Jason Dravet wrote:

I just updated my rawhide system to the new modular x. I have been reading some of the >>threads discussing this and I have a couple of questions:

1. With modular X (when released) have support for automaticahttp://by103fd.bay103.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/compose?curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000002&a=61346a0e9f29bc7b56547fd59892ba60758e39c15a561453426ebfa90047dd1f&mailto=1&to=fedora-devel-list@xxxxxxxxxx&msg=C60E54F8-83B5-41AA-ACB8-6813CC6DEA7A&start=0&len=26350&src=&type=x#
Sendlly turning on numlock when I >>start X?

You can do that with any version of X, by calling xset from
~/.Xclients or ~/.xinitrc, or one of the systemwide locations.

I saw the saw the setup for xset. I was hoping for a cleaner solution. For example IMO having a line in the xorg.conf file to control the caps lock, scroll lock, and num lock would be the best solution. It keeps all of the configuration data together. When I move to new version of Fedora I format my hard drive and copy the data back from a usb thumb drive. Right now I have to copy back approximately 20 configuration files and alot of odds and ends to get the system back to where it was before I updated. If there was a line in xorg to control the lock keys then to get X back up and running I would only have to put the xorg.conf back. Right now I have put xorg.conf back, copy my mouse.sh file back, and copy the numlock.sh file back. Am I crazy for thinking 1 file is better than 3?

2. When I did the yum update all of the xorg-x11-drv rpms downloaded. This is 56 files several >>of which I don't need. I have a Number nine Revolution IV video supported by the i128 package. >>I don't need the cirrus, trident, s3, nv, etc packages, but I can't uninstall them. I get

Yes, this is intentional.  The reasons for splitting the drivers out
into individual packages, was to:

- make it very easy for us to release single driver updates

- to drastically reduce the amount of downloading necessary to update
 a single driver

- drastically reduce the disk space consumption and network bandwidth
 consumption for mirror sites as well as internal build machines

- to make it easy to add new video drivers to a release without
 having to release a whole new 150Mb of X packages.

I agree this is a good thing. Being able to release new drivers as soon as they come out without having to respwan all of X is great. My concern is for bandwidth. Looking at the xorg-x11-drv files there are about 2.3MB of drivers. This number is only going to go up as time goes on and drivers are added and updated. The idea about installing new hardware and having yum or some other application go and download the driver is good. I agree that such functionality will not be here for FC5. If this is where things are going then I will shut up and download everything.

3. My Microsoft Intellimouse explorer (usb) no longer functions as expected. I still have

      Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
      Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
      Option "Buttons" "7"
      Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
in my xorg.conf. I also have the mouse.sh file in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d
#!/bin/sh
# /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/mouse.sh
# Required for the configuration of a 5-button mouse
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"

In short the back and forward buttons work as a scroll. How can I fix this?

I believe they've been playing with this part of the code in Xorg CVS
lately, and that it might have gotten broken.  I think I saw some CVS
commits go in in the last few days related to button ordering, but I
don't remember the details.  My recommendation, is to post a message to
xorg lists freedesktop org about it for now, and see what feedback you
get back.  If it turns out it is a bug, and is not fixed in CVS, query
xorg bugzilla to see if someone has already reported it or not, and if
not, file a bug, and attach your X server config and log, and your
script to the report, and mark it blocking the release blocker
bug #1690

You are correct there is a thread called ZAxisMapping causing trouble at http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2005-November/date.html. I will keep checking the list for updates.

Thank you for the reply the information was very helpful.
Jason