Modular X installation results

The upgrade to modular X went pretty well for me except for the fact that I had to install the package "xorg-x11-xauth" manually because the yum update apparently didn't pick that up.

What I immediately after reboot though was how slow my desktop has become. Moving around a window on the desktop is now very jerky. Before I saw the usual gtk refresh artifacts but the movement of the window itself was smooth. I have DRI disabled because I don't care about 3D and here is the device config I'm running right now:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "radeon"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "ATI Radeon 9500 Pro"
#       Option      "RenderAccel" "on"
#       Option      "EnablePageFlip" "on"
#       Option      "BackingStore" "on"
EndSection

According to the log XAA is enabled:

(II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration unsupported on Radeon 9500/9700 and newer.
(II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration disabled
(II) RADEON(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
        Screen to screen bit blits
        Solid filled rectangles
        8x8 mono pattern filled rectangles
        Indirect CPU to Screen color expansion