Re: init observations

Dimi Paun wrote:

From: "Bill Nottingham" <notting@xxxxxxxxxx>
It's disk seek on shared libraries, almost certianly. It's the majority
of lag time on *any* startup these days, including the OS itself.

OK, that's reasonable. However, I'm not sure we should just accept that.
How come notepad starts up fast on Windows? They don't have seeks?
And besides, what libs does gedit need on a fully loaded GNOME desktop
that are not already loaded?

I had some startup issues with gedit too. But it wasn't a disk seek issue. (noticed that it takes longer if there is heavy network load ex: bittorent) . (its *much* fast when hostname=localhost=no network up)
I have set up a local dns server using bind and now the issues are gone.
Local apps should always use localhost as hostname which would have avoided this problem.