Re: FC5 and new init system

Daniel Malmgren wrote:

Hi all.
I'm responsible for rpm packaging of InitNG. I've followed this
discussion and just wanted to notice a few things.

I can't really see why everybody wants Harald to continue the efforts on
SystemManager. I don't know much about the project, but I can't really
see why time should be spent making competing init replacements when
there are good alternatives out there.

This is where I'd like to say a word for InitNG. InitNG it just half a
year old, but it's been progressing very fast. With the latest releases
it's starting to work very good out-of-the-box. I think you should take
a look at it. It installs just fine alongside with SysVinit, you've just
gotta choose in the Grub screen which init to use.

What the InitNG project really needs right now is a wider testing base!

/Daniel

Would you or anyone else be interested in packaging InitNG in Fedora Extras? . Fedora does have a good amount of enthusiastic users who could provide feedback on this if this was just a matter of installing a few packages with yum in parallel to the current init system and making sure stuff doesnt break.

regards
Rahul