Re: Looking for help with packaging RamaLama for Fedora.

On 9/30/24 12:52, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Mon, 2024-09-30 at 12:41 -0400, Daniel Walsh wrote:
why all this? Why not just have it set up as a perfectly normal Python
lib+script project and let all the infrastructure Python-world has been
building for decades handle installing it on various platforms? Is
there something I'm missing here, or should I send a PR?

Is it because this was written for macOS originally? But surely there's
a standard way to install a normal Python project on macOS that doesn't
require a custom install script?!
We are trying to run ramalama inside of a container, this means that we
are volume mounting in the directory from the host into the container
along with the ramalama executable.

We want to make sure that the ramalama executable finds the python
libraries ,which is why we are sticking the library into first place in
the path.  (It is a little hacky and we could probably work around it
using environment variables rather then inserting it.

Bottom line we want the executable from the host running inside of the
container, to try to avoid drift between container images and the
executable.
So...the script and library are initially run from a host system, and
they create a container then copy/mount themselves into it and re-
execute within it? Do I have that right? ... yeah, it looks like that
is what `run_container` in `ramalama/cli.py` does. ooookay.

Honestly I feel like I would've written this so the bit that runs in
the container is just a different thing from the bit that runs outside
of the container? But I guess that's getting rather beyond the scope of
"package the thing that exists". :D

Yup. Not sure it is the best and does complicate development.

BTW I opened https://github.com/containers/ramalama/pull/209 for the pyproject.toml file.