Re: [EPEL-devel] Re: FailsToInstall bugs, can we have it enable on EPEL branches ?

On Sat, Sep 21, 2024 at 3:05 PM Carl George <carl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 21, 2024 at 3:21 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 21. 09. 24 20:00, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Sat, 2024-09-21 at 10:03 +0000, bugzilla@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Please note that this comment was generated automatically by
> >> https://pagure.io/releng/blob/main/f/scripts/ftbfs-fti/follow-policy.py
> >

> > Have this scripts running on EPEL branches would help me detect FTI
> > more quickly , instead be users reporting  it
> >
> > Best regards,
>
> We probably could. It runs against the koji repos, so as long as it does not
> want to report bugzillas for RHEL content, it should work.

This is something that's been on my mind for a while.  Uninstallable
packages hurt EPEL's overall reputation.  I would actually like to
take this a step further than FTI bugs and also gate EPEL updates on
installability.  I do not think it should be allowed to push an update
to stable if it is uninstallable.  Even if we can't gate the updates
completely, we should at least disable auto-push based on time/karma
if the installability check fails.  The first step will be to actually
run the installability check on EPEL updates, which does not currently
happen.

https://github.com/fedora-ci/installability-pipeline/issues/40

I've also been toying with the idea of having an EPEL policy around
this.  Fedora doesn't allow uninstallable packages to sit in the repos
forever, and neither should EPEL.  Automatic FTI bugs would be really
useful here for marking the duration, and then the policy could be
something like "untag after X months of not being installable".  For
EPEL 10 we could do a one-off bulk untag for everything that doesn't
install right before the official launch.

Python has a great policy that helps in these situations.  The
upstream test suite SHOULD be run in %check, but if it can't a basic
smoke test (e.g. %pyproject_check_import) MUST be run.  This ensures
that missing run-time dependencies fail the build.  If you get a FTI
bug for one of your Python packages, it likely means this policy isn't
being followed.

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Python/#_tests

--
Carl George

While that is getting done, I have got my will-it-install page back up and working for epel10
 https://tdawson.fedorapeople.org/epel/willit/epel10/status-wont-install.html

It's only updating once a day, at least until I get Diego's changes backported.
Troy