chicken-and-egg scenario with EPEL 10

Hi all-

I’m trying to get Swift packaged for EPEL 10 but have an interesting situation that I presume has been seen before, so am hoping for some guidance.

Since 5.9 Swift has required a previous version of Swift to build; 5.8 is the last version that builds by itself. Now I’d like to package Swift 6 for EPEL 10, but because no previous version of Swift exists, I think what I have to do is build 5.8, while also applying new patches because of versions of things like Python that weren’t an issue when 5.8 was originally built. Once 5.8 is hopefully built and available on EPEL 10, then I can build Swift 5.10, then build Swift 6.

Am I doing this workflow correctly? When packages depend on previous versions of the package do folks do what I’m doing and basically go back to the beginning and move forward until the latest version can be built? And would I have to start all over again with EPEL 11, 12, etc.?

Thanks for any info,

Ron