Django packaging options for alternate stacks - advice needed

Hi all,

Since we need the Django stack in EPEL for running the mailing list
infra, a few months ago the EPEL Steering Committee discussed a plan to
package Django LTS versions in EPEL, with RPM-based Provides/Conflicts
to allow swapping between different Django stacks

https://pagure.io/epel/issue/271

(Documentation still forthcoming, and it's probably a good idea to
formalize the Provides/Conflicts convention first)

Carl has since pointed out that there are situations where python-django
(the old package, which we now intend to track the latest Django
release) and python-djangoX.Y (the LTS package, the first and currently
only available is python-django4.2) happen to be the same version, and
that it could be confusing*

* I personally think it's fine, as the two are interchangeable anyway -
* and if a dependency is not compatible with python-django, then users
* can swap to the LTS package and keep everything
* ... but this can be better documented if we continue down this route,
* e.g. with a README.Fedora pointing to the website docs

The alternative Carl suggested is to package each python-djangoX.Y we
need separately - and that way avoid ever having two package having the
same version, similar to how the multiple Python versions are packaged.

We thought the SIG might want to chime in on this (might as well sort it
out before I start writing documentation anyway) - any pros/cons we have
not thought up, and any recommendation about which is better overall?

Thanks,

--
 _o) Michel Lind
_( ) identities: https://keyoxide.org/5dce2e7e9c3b1cffd335c1d78b229d2f7ccc04f2