Re: Packaging Guidelines: "Source File Verification" docs incomplete?

On Sun, Aug 25, 2024 at 8:36 AM Frank R Dana Jr. <ferdnyc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Also, a yea/nay on whether I've correctly understood this point:
>
> > So, does that mean that remote keyrings should be listed at their source URL,
> > BUT the `gpgkey-` file at that URL should be manually downloaded and
> > `git add`-ed to the package repo?
>
> ...would be a help. Before I go and attempt to make something explicit in the Guidelines based on my low-confidence interpretation, it feels prudent to first confirm that it's not a MIS-interpretation on my part.
> --

As I read the guidelines, the source, and the .sig file
should be in the lookaside cache (and in the
"sources" file), and the keyring that include
those authorized to release should be stored in
the SCM (next to all the other files such as ..spec)
so, git add'ed.  The keyring name (in the SourceNN:
line) may end up being a full upstream URL if
upstream publishes it that way, or a "bare" name
if the keyring needed to be locally created (as
noted in the exceptions part of those docs).

As you noted, there is the easy case, and then
there are the exceptions.  Perhaps a few
additional examples in the exceptions part
would help (perhaps a reference as to how
to use gpg to retrieve multiple keys for a
project and export into a usable keyring, for
those that have not been using gpg (and
the various predecessors) for decades).
I am unclear if that would be best inline in
the packaging doc itself, or just a reference
to another doc.