Re: FedoraWorkstation default firewall rules unsafe

On 28/07/2024 11:33, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Sun, 2024-07-28 at 10:25 +0200, Arthur Bols via devel wrote:
Hi all,

Yesterday, while assisting a user with connecting a printer, I noticed
that the default firewall zone on Fedora Workstation is set to
"FedoraWorkstation". This zone has ports 1025-65535 open by default
[0].  Is there a historical reason for this, just an oversight, or am I
missing something? This configuration doesn't seem ideal for typical
users and developers. For example, I often run dev servers that I assume
are secure due to the default firewall settings, but it appears that
even the Home zone is more restrictive.

I'm considering to open a change request to remove these firewall rules
for better security but want to ensure I'm not overlooking anything.
It's intentional. It's been that way since the first release of
Workstation.
Sure. But why do those ports need to be open by default at all? What is the benefit of adding those extra 2 lines? Does it enhance user friendliness? I doubt it, as users will still need to open ports for e.g. slp or mdsn. What it does is put users at risk.

I wouldn't have this conversation if we had no firewall rules like arch or Debian, but we do. We even go as far as install and enable Firewalld by default. As far as I know Fedora is positioning itself as a beginner-friendly Linux distro, thus we should strive to protect users. Enabling a firewall that blocks traffic up to port 1024 is strange and confusing, especially for security minded beginners.

It's called "Workstation". If you want to run a server, install the one
called "Server".
I would if I want to run a server, not a developer machine. And that would also incite me to enable and configure the firewall.

Arthur