Re: libarrow (Apache Arrow) SONAME bump in rawhide

On Tue, 23 Jul 2024 at 08:59, Kaleb Keithley <kkeithle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2024 at 1:24 PM Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Thanks for the minimal notice, but that is not how this is supposed to
>> > be done.
>> >
>> > You are supposed to mail all the maintainers of dependent components
>> > and provide at least a week to co-ordinate rebuilds in a side tag, then
>> > send out an update with all the rebuilds together.
>

> Well, then consider this a call for someone whose $dayjob it is to do this to take over ownership of libarrow and liborc.
>
> I packaged Apache Arrow and ORC (libarrow, liborc) for *Ceph*. But even packaging Ceph is not really part of my $dayjob.
>
> I did not sign up to build dozens of other packages or jump through side tag hoops.

OK what did you sign up for then? I realize it's hot and humid and the
summer tempers are wearing thin, but if this isn't what you are
wanting to do, it might be better for everyone to orphan these things
soon versus hitting a worse part later on. If they are that important
for enough people, then maybe someone will get assigned to them or
volunteer to handle them or just remove them.

> I have libarrow-17 essentially ready to go. Let me know if you're interested in taking it over.
>
> --
>
> Kaleb
> --

Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard
battle. -- Ian MacClaren