Re: Encouraging the use of multiple packaging systems on one systems, and the resulting problems (was: re: /usr/local)

--On Friday, October 21, 2005 10:28 PM -0700 "Michael A. Peters" <mpeters@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Users should not be expected to learn how to package rpm's unless they
need to learn it for another reason. I do think that developers should
learn rpm so they can provide a *quality* generic spec file, some spec
files I've seen are just scary (and often not generated by autoconf so
the version ends up being wrong if they don't remember to manually
update it for a new release)

Right. Anyone who can learn how to use autoconf or Make should be able to write a simple spec file. Then the end user can issue "rpmbuild -ta xxx.tar.gz" instead of "configure/make/make install".

Does autoconf now have the ability to write spec files? If so, that could simplify this issue for a lot of developers.