Re: the sad state of installability tests

V Mon, Jul 15, 2024 at 08:45:53AM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek napsal(a):
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2024 at 10:31:06AM +0200, Petr Pisar wrote:
> > I guess the test does not take RPM Conflicts into account. It's overly
> > optimistic when populating a system by installing all tested packages together
> > instead of creating a new system for each test seperately. Or by adding
> > --allowerasing to "dnf install" invocations if the CI wants to reuse
> > the system.
>
> Yes and no. The test does not look at the package metadata at all, it just
> tries to install all the packages that were part of the update.
> In the case above, coreutils.srpm builds coreutils.rpm and coreutils-single.srpm,
> which have Conflicts on one another, and cannot be installed at the same time.
>
> The test which (I think) we really want is to install the combined set
> of packages from the update, so we exercise the situation that will occur
> on end-user systems, but exclude the packages from this set which are known
> to be not co-installable.

Maybe I conflate installability tests with rpmdeplint tests. We need both:
A test which checks that each package is separately installable. And a test
which tcgecks that wanted combinations of packages can be installed together.

I cannot see how "exclude the packages from this set which are known
to be not co-installable" can be achieved automatically. Either the test will
examine package metadata for Conflicts to exclude the conflicting packages, or
someone will have to maintain the good set of combinanations.

> If there's one "CI person", then that is AdamW. He's doing great work
> (also in the update I linked in my original post). IIUC, AdamW's focus
> is on the 'update.*' tests, and those are fine, they generally pass.
> The bodhi results page says:
>
>   For help debugging failed Fedora CI tests (fedora-ci.*), contact the Fedora CI team.
>   For help debugging failed Fedora CoreOS tests (coreos.*), contact the Fedora CoreOS team.
>   For help debugging failed openQA tests (update.*), contact the Fedora Quality team, ...
>
> I added ci@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in CC.

I thought fedora-ci.* tests which we talk about. A person in that case is
Michal Srb who already responded in this thread.

-- Petr