Re: HEADS UP: openssl engine-related FTBFS and Boost

On Tue, 2 Jul 2024 at 14:07, Dmitry Belyavskiy <dbelyavs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear colleagues,

On Tue, Jul 2, 2024 at 1:35 PM Iñaki Ucar <iucar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

This recent commit [1] in rawhide moves the engine API to a openssl-devel-engine subpackage following [2] (BTW this change announced that it would be openssl-engine-devel instead, but that's not the point). I'm surprised that FESCo approved this change without any analysis of the impact and the packages that required adaptation and how. Also, change owners are now allowed to commit and just let things break?

One major concern is that I see this in a package that does **not** use the engine API:

/usr/include/boost/asio/ssl/detail/openssl_types.hpp:26:11: fatal error: openssl/engine.h: No such file or directory
   26 | # include <openssl/engine.h>
      |           ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

What are we supposed to do here? Aren't we allowed to add new packages to Fedora that require Boost ASIO because we would need to add a deprecated package to BR, even if the package itself doesn't use that API?

In the long-term it would be better to provide a patch fixing build of the package. Probably adding -DOPENSSL_NO_ENGINE to build flags will work.

This should be documented in the change proposal. Does this work for Boost?

Engines are deprecated. You should not use engines and should migrate to providers.

I don't use engines. Boost does. I use Boost.

The implemented solution is an attempt to find balance between removing engines at all (not possible as of now) and delaying the migration to providers.
I'd recommend consider it as a gentle reminder about future engine deprecation

Sorry but breaking packages without notice or a proposed solution is not gentle at all.

--
Iñaki Úcar