Re: F42 Change Proposal: Unprivileged management of system Flatpaks (system-wide)

On Tue, Jul 2, 2024 at 5:59 AM Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dne 01. 07. 24 v 22:58 Aoife Moloney napsal(a):
> Wiki - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/UnprivilegedSystemFlatpakManagement
> Discussion thread -
> https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/f42-change-proposal-unprivileged-management-of-system-flatpaks-system-wide/124336
>
> This is a proposed Change for Fedora Linux.
> This document represents a proposed Change. As part of the Changes
> process, proposals are publicly announced in order to receive
> community feedback. This proposal will only be implemented if approved
> by the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee.
>
> == Summary ==
> This proposal adds a new dedicated `flatpak` group, allowing users to
> manage system Flatpaks without needing to be in the `wheel` group.
>
> == Owner ==
> * Name: [[User:boredsquirrel| Henning]]
> * Email: boredsquirrel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> == Detailed Description ==
> Currently, to install, uninstall and modify apps or repositories,
> users need to be in the `wheel` group. Removing a user from the wheel
> group would interfere with the currently default (systemwide)
> configuration of Flatpaks.
>
> All users can add a `user` repository, and manage their own user
> Flatpaks. But a dedicated group to manage system flatpaks, without
> relying on `wheel` allows more fine grained privileges.

I am not Flatpak user, but I wonder why Flatpaks are system wide
installed by default? And if it would not be better to make them user
installed instead of this proposal.

Vít

> [...]
> access on the host system.
>
> It will be a change of the polkit rule `org.freedesktop.Flatpak.rules`
> like following:
>

>    polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
>        if ((action.id == "org.freedesktop.Flatpak.app-install" ||
>            action.id == "org.freedesktop.Flatpak.runtime-install"||
>            action.id == "org.freedesktop.Flatpak.app-uninstall" ||
>            action.id == "org.freedesktop.Flatpak.runtime-uninstall" ||
>            action.id == "org.freedesktop.Flatpak.modify-repo") &&
>            subject.active == true && subject.local == true && (
>            subject.isInGroup("wheel") || subject.isInGroup("flatpak"))) {
>                return polkit.Result.YES;
>        }
>
>        return polkit.Result.NOT_HANDLED;
>    });
>
>    polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
>        if (action.id == "org.freedesktop.Flatpak.override-parental-controls") {
>                return polkit.Result.AUTH_ADMIN;
>        }
>
>        return polkit.Result.NOT_HANDLED;
>    });
>

> == Feedback ==
> none yet
>
> == Benefit to Fedora ==
> This is a step towards the Confined Users goal. It enables a dedicated
> action, the management of Flatpaks, without needing all the other
> privileges that `wheel` users have.
>
> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners: changing a single rule, testing with nonwheel users
> in the `flatpak` group
>
> * Other developers: none
>
> * Release engineering: [https://pagure.io/releng/issues #Releng issue number]
>
> * Policies and guidelines: Documentation needs to get an additional
> chapter on Flatpak management with the `flatpak` group.
>
> * Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
>
> * Alignment with the Fedora Strategy: Yes
>

> == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
> The polkit rule will be overwritten, there will be no changes in
> behavior. It just enables a new feature.
>
> == How To Test ==
> On Atomic or traditional Fedora, place the above rule in
> `/etc/polkit-1/rules.d/org.freedesktop.Flatpak.rules`.
>
> This will be preferred over the default rule and you can test if it works.
>
> == User Experience ==
> By default, Anaconda puts users into the `wheel` group. There will be no change.
>
> But it enables to manage Flatpaks without being in that privileged group.
>
> == Dependencies ==
> None
>

> == Contingency Plan ==
>
> * Contingency mechanism: this is a simple fix, not adding it will keep
> the previous wheel need
> * Contingency deadline: N/A
> * Blocks release? N/A
>

> == Documentation ==
> Will be added afterwards.
>
> Nonwheel users can be added to the `flatpak` group:
>

>    sudo groupadd flatpak
>    sudo usermod -aG flatpak USERNAME
>

> == Release Notes ==
>
> Permission to manage systemwide flatpaks is now granted to users in

Currently wheel is required in order to install packages with dnf/rpm.  Why should flatpak be different?