Re: Time to retire GlusterFS in Fedora?

On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 04:44:26PM -0400, Kaleb Keithley wrote:

> HI,
>
> Development has effectively ended. For years Red Hat drove
> development for its RHGS product, but with the EOL of RHGS at the
> end of 2024 [1], and the disbanding of RHGS engineering at Red Hat,
> no development is being done. The last update (11.1) was on 6 Nov.,
> 2023. Little or no, development is taking place in the greater
> Gluster community (such as it is), and no new updates appear to be
> forthcoming from any direction.
>
> Over in the CentOS world, the CentOS Storage SIG members have
> decided not to build GlusterFS RPMs for Stream 10.
>
> Therefore I intend to retire the GlusterFS package in Fedora 42,
> unless someone else would like to step in and take over as package
> owner.
>
> [1] https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/rhs/

We had a bit of discussion about the implications for virt, since qemu
and libvirt are prominent users of glusterfs-api-devel &
glusterfs-devel in Fedora.  I think the summary is that we don't want
to drop it upstream right now, but will go along with whatever the
Linux distros do.

So if Fedora 42 drops gluster then we'll go along with that.  And the
same will apply in other distros like Debian.

Eventually once no distros have it we'll look at dropping it upstream.

(After reading your message above I dropped glusterfs support in
libguestfs.)

Rich.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW