Re: Intention to retire remaining LLVM 14, 15 and 16 compat packages

Thanks to some recent upstream work in openshadinglanguage, I was able to rebuild it with LLVM 18 in Rawhide, so it should no longer be impacted.

The latest upstream release of python-llvmlite now has “experimental” support for LLVM 15, and the package is now built with LLVM 15 in Rawhide. Upstream plans to support LLVM 17 or later “eventually,” but the timeline is indefinite (https://github.com/numba/llvmlite/issues/1048). After some discussion with co-maintainers of the python-llvmlite package in the neuro-sig, we agree that we don’t have the collective or individual appetite to maintain llvm15, and we expect to orphan the python-llvmlite package if llvm15 is retired as planned. This will impact sympy, which has python-llvmlite as an optional dependency, but it should be sufficient for the sympy package to simply drop its BuildRequires on %{py3_dist llvmlite} if and when python-llvmlite is ultimately retired.