Re: 2FA policy for provenpackagers is now active

On Mon, Jun 24, 2024 at 9:28 AM Michael J Gruber <mjg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Guinevere Larsen venit, vidit, dixit 2024-06-24 13:53:37:
> > >
> > > Only if you use the same password manager for both: password and OTP.
> > >
> > It still makes it 1FA. If all you need to get the OTP is know which
> > password managers the user uses, and what is the password for that
> > passowrd manager, OTP goes from being a "something you have" type of
> > authentication factor, to a "something you know" authentication factor,
> > which is the same factor as the password. Multi factor authentication is
> > not about steps, is about what you need to complete the authentication
> > challenge (something you know, something you have, or something you are).
>
> Sure, and the "something you have" is access to the OTP device which in
> this case is the (token stored in the ) password manager's database.
>
> The password or passphrase which unlocks the password manager is nothing
> which you could provide as a "factor".
>
> Or else, all cloneable OTP apps would need to be disallowed as 2nd
> factors, and only physical tokens should count.

Also, why does everyone seem to assume that a password manager isn't
ITSELF protected by 2FA? For my lower-concern sites, I am just fine
with keeping the TOTP code in the manager because the manager itself
is protected by a strong password and a physical FIDO device
(Yubikey).

Remember that security is a spectrum, not an end-state. Every person
and environment makes a choice between how much security and how much
convenience is appropriate. If you want perfect security, you can
unplug your PC, fill it with concrete and drop it into the Marianas
Trench. Otherwise, you make some compromises...