Re: Stateless Linux Update?

Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:

tir, 18.10.2005 kl. 23.27 skrev Stephen J. Smoogen:
On 10/18/05, Jake Thompson <jatsrt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All,
I am wondering if there are any developers out there that can sound off on
the state of the stateless linux project. It would be a perfect solution for
what I am doing, but since it seems dead in the water, I am hesitant to move
forward.

Basically it is dead in the water, because every 2-3 months a couple
of people say "It is perfect for what I am doing.. but it seems dead
in the water." No one seems to have the time to go into it and yanks
its guts out and rewrite. Me included :(.

Could Fedora Directory server help it, make it easier to admin, etc?

Kyrre

That may be the piece that Stateless needs. My diskless lab is more-or-less based on a mix of stateless and older remote boot solutions. The main problem I had with Stateless was the steep learning curve of the LDAP user management, and the lack of a good intuitive user interface for it. If Fedora Directory server has the kind of UI simplicity that Active Directory does, it may be the perfect fit for Stateless.

While we're talking about reworking Stateless, another feature that would be cool, would be some elegant integration of Unionfs (unionfs.org) either in addition to, or in exchange for the current "Read-only root" system. Knoppix and other LiveCDs are now using this, and it has made them much more usable, since it provides read-write emulation of large portions of the read-only filesystem.

Regards,
Carlos