Re: Orphaned NVML

On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 12:23:51PM -0300, Emanuel Lima wrote:
> I orphaned NVML as Intel discontinued Optane (
> https://pmem.io/announcements/2023/customer-letter-march-2023/) and I'm
> having trouble finding the time to maintain the package. The question that
> remains is whether QEMU still depends on NVML or not. I got conflicting
> information about that. Does anyone know?

QEMU builds against libpmem, and can optionally use it as backing for its
nvdimm emulation. I've zero insight on whether there are many (or even any)
people using this QEMU feature though.

Intel ending development isn't particularly a factor for Fedora deciding
whether to keep a package or not, since existing available hardware is not
likely to disappear for years hence. Seems like the upstream project is
still showing plenty of activity too.

Anyway, either someone (either QEMU maintainers or another interested
person) picks up the orphaned package, or QEMU will end up turning off
the pmem feature of its build when the orphaned package is retired.

With regards,
Daniel