Re: F41 Change Proposal: GIMP Version 3 (self-contained)

On Mon, 2024-06-17 at 14:00 -0400, Przemek Klosowski via devel wrote:
> On 6/17/24 02:39, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> > On 16/06/2024 18:24, Aoife Moloney wrote:
> > > This release of Fedora Linux ships version 3 of the GNU Image
> > > Manipulation Program, with many new features and improved user
> > > experience. The package is called <code>gimp3</code>, the old
> > > version
> > > will still be available under the old name, <code>gimp</code> for
> > > users who need it for existing projects.
> >
> > +1 to the proposal, but -1 to the quoted statement.
> >
> > GIMP 3 should go to the gimp package and the gimp2 legacy
> > compatibility package should be introduced.
> >
> Vitaly got it right---it should be a major exception to introduce
> versioned software naming, i.e. only when there are major system-
> level
> implications, like for Python2->3 transition. I do appreciate that
> people may have gimp application-level workflows [1] but Fedora
> should
> not be expected to fix them, given the upstream policy of releasing
> the
> new GIMP.

I don't agree with you , First where it is write that major release
must be the un-version package ?

keep gimp2 as gimp and do gimp3 package will not force modify any other
package and we won't have broken things , which may happen if you build
one package for gimp2 when there is gimp3 already and no one notice,
but that is my opinion .

Historically we got some cases , like wxGTK, wxGTK3, openjpeg and
openjpeg2  ( btw openjpeg is not used by any package and openjpeg2
should move to openjpeg )

--
Sérgio M. B.