Orphaning grpc, python-googleapis-common-protos, python-pytest-grpc

About three years ago, I picked up the grpc package after it was orphaned. I put quite a bit of work into it – migrating from autotools to CMake, enabling tests, and packaging the latest version – and I kept it up to date for a while, until further updates were blocked by the need for a major protobuf package update – which is the state it has been in for roughly a year now.

I’ve put some effort into trying to help with that, too[1], but now I’m trying to get a current grpc working with a current protobuf and hitting cryptic crashes in the tests[2], and I’ve realized that I’ve hit the limit of how much time and frustration I am willing to invest in the protobuf/grpc ecosystem. I know and regret that this will be inconvenient for the maintainers and users of a number of packages that depend on grpc, but the time has come for me to move on and orphan grpc.

The following packages depend directly on grpc at build time:

- CuraEngine_grpc_definitions
- bear
- buildstream
- credentials-fetcher
- fastnetmon
- frr
- libarrow
- nanopb
- perl-grpc-xs
- python-google-api-core
- python-googleapis-common-protos
- python-grpc-google-iam-v1
- python-opencensus-proto
- python-opentelemetry
- python-pytest-grpc
- python-sentry-sdk
- qt6-qtgrpc

Additionally, at least the following have subpackages with install-time dependencies on grpc:

- python-chirpstack-api
- python-etcd3
- syslog-ng

Note that libarrow is a dependency for:

- ceph
- pcp
- python-dask
- python-dask-expr
- python-formulaic
- python-pandas
- python-papermill

I’ve been maintaining the following packages solely or primarily to support grpc, and I will orphan them at the same time:

- python-googleapis-common-protos
- python-pytest-grpc

While I originally started maintaining python-opentelemetry, python-opentelemetry-contrib, python-opentelemetry-propagator-aws-xray, python-opentelemetry-resource-detector-azure, and python-opentelemetry-sdk-extension-aws for grpc, I’m planning to keep maintaining them for the time being.

[1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/protobuf/pull-request/28

[2] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/grpc/pull-request/35