Re: sysvinit replacement?

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Peter Arremann wrote:

The biggest issue with SMF is the state database. A single type on a service
file can corrupt your state database. So can interrupting a svcs command at
the wrong time. If that happens, good luck - you go back to the last saved
state and hope things still work. Of course if you installed software since
then you end up with a mess and...

Are you saying this is a fundamental problem with a SMF type management framework or just a implementation detail in the current SMF system?

Then the startup time gains are overrated... Log into your Sol10 box as soon
as its possible and run "format" - if your box survives that (some older ones
dont) then you'll see your format stall for a long time before you get your
output. In the end, if you measure the time from push of the power button
(assuming a reasonable diag level) to the time you logged in and got your
format output there is barely any difference between Sol9 and Sol10. Same
holds true for printing or a JES webserver request.

I never found the startup time issue that big of a deal, it is a bigger deal for desktops/hand helds than servers IMO. I am more fond of the service monitoring/event features than I am how quick it is.

Other problems are that you're trading a well known, well debugged system
against something noone knows and that has virtually no tools to troubleshoot
at the moment. You also make it much harder for anyone to port software to
your Linux flavor.

This is true every time major change occurs, it is valid consideration though.

Cheers,
Shane