Re: Adding additional flag in cmake-rpm-macros to disallow the use of the FetchContent module

On 2024/05/27 10:09, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:

On 27/05/2024 02:46, Kan-Ru Chen wrote:
It is documented that FIND_PACKAGE_ARGS argument in FetchContent_Declare should instruct it to find system packages first.

This only works as expected in very rare cases. The library name in FetchContent() must match the name in find_package().

In principle this can be handled with FIND_PACKAGE_ARGS + NAMES. But there are more nuances that the dependent project must have compatibility ALIAS targets, or equivalent handling on the consumer side.

Overall I think the upstream packages should make these transitions, and wherever possible Fedora packagers should help propose these.

Regarding FETCHCONTENT_FULLY_DISCONNECTED=ON, I think that could be a good idea, but it needs a bit more implementation to work, e.g. exposing the FetchContent deps folder so that we can populate them manually. This would be the equivalent of the vendored packaging in go or rust, where we specify additional Source to be downloaded. This would not be a recommended packaging process, but it's good to reduce the initial workload when dealing with dependency chains.