Re: Supporting XvMC (and XvMCW)

Bill Nottingham wrote:

Philip Prindeville (philipp_subx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) said:
Apologies if this has already been discussed and I missed it... I've
only been on the list a couple of months...  and a quick search of
old messages didn't turn anything up.

Could the X driver installation process write out the contents of
/etc/X11/XvMCConfig based on the driver module that has
been selected for the xorg.conf file?

For instance, if you've selected the via drivers (in xorg 6.8.99.900
and later, for instance), then /etc/X11/XvMCConfig should contain:

libviaXvMC.so

or:

libviaXvMCPro.so

If you're using the NVidia drivers (from NVidia, and not the GPL "nv"
drivers instead) you'd have:

libXVMCNVIDIA.so

for instance.  Other cards might not offer support.  I believe the Savage
cards do.

Does this sound feasible?

It sounds like dumb code. The driver already, from what you've posted,
knows what the name of the module it uses is. So why on earth does it
need a config file?

Bill

Because the client isn't statically linked to the library, and needs to
discover it dynamically at run-time.

A lot of X libraries contain both client-side and server-side functions.

-Philip