Re: New Fedora Planet

On Fri, May 17, 2024 at 08:42:12AM GMT, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 05:16:17PM -0300, Pedro Moura wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > We are moving Fedora Planet from the old (python2) software running on
> > fedorapeople.org to a new application that is running in OpenShift.
> > This new application uses information from the Fedora Account System to
> > find blogs, so please make sure your account is updated.
> >
> > You can see the new planet at: https://planet.apps.ocp.fedoraproject.org/
> >
> > To add blog posts in Fedora Planet you basically need to update RSS URL
> > field at https://accounts.fedoraproject.org/
>
> IIUC, you're indicating that the existing planet feed addresses will not
> be automatically migrated, and thus everyone has to update their profile,
> even if already on the Fedora Planet today ?

Yes. We considered trying to migrate .planet files but:

* There's a ton of invalid ones that don't resolve or are 404, or have 0
entries in them, or go to things that aren't rss feeds.
* There's a ton of them that were setup by people years ago that are no
longer active in the fedora community, so there's no fedora tagged
posts, but who knows if they intend to add some, or never will.
* There's a ton of them that are http and a simple http/https
substitution doesn't work, so we don't know where the https version is
or if it exists.

Perhaps we could look at posters for the last say 6months and mail them
directly to check and update? That would at least get somewhat active
folks...

On Fri, May 17, 2024 at 11:53:34AM GMT, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> Dne 16. 05. 24 v 10:16 odp. Pedro Moura napsal(a):
> > To add blog posts in Fedora Planet you basically need to update RSS URL field at https://accounts.fedoraproject.org/
>
> How can I add more feeds? Under my account I had feeds to two Packit blogs, one ABRT and my personal.

Hum, good question. I'll ask Pedro about this.

On Fri, May 17, 2024 at 12:49:12PM GMT, Kamil Paral wrote:

> On this new URL, the sub-planets are currently broken. Also, how can I add
> an RSS feed to a particular sub-planet? (note that that RSS feed is
> different from the RSS feed for the main planet).

Yes, and we should have noted this in the announcement, but we were
going to sunset the 'sub-planets'. They didn't seem to be very
active/used. Is that not the case?

On Fri, May 17, 2024 at 02:51:35PM GMT, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:

> Which means that basically all blogs are going to vanish from Fedora Planet
> unless people re-add them manually.

Yes.

> There are 809 blogs on the old Planet Fedora, the new one currently has 30
> (should be at least 31 soon when it picks up my RSS URL that I have just
> added to accounts.fedoraproject.org). That is less than 4%. More than 96% of
> the blogs will be gone.

But of those 809, a very large majority are invalid, inactive or broken
in some way.

kevin