Debugging fun (wrt C modernization change)

Yesterday, we ran into an issue where some of rpm upstream testcases are suddenly failing on one system. The difference to everybody elses working tests turned out to be Fedora 40, and was easily reproduced elsewhere on F40 then.

On a closer look, the failing tests were all complaining about implicit function declarations. Okay, something to do with the C modernization change. The first of the failure cases was supposed to patch the old source against this though, but somehow the patch wasn't getting applied. WTH? There was a bit of a panic rising, are we missing patch applications somehow? And as a result of the C modernization changes? What?

Looking closer still, the failing test had this:

---
%patchlist
hello-1.0-modernize.patch
hello-1.0-install.patch

%prep
%autosetup -N
%autopatch 1
%autopatch -m 2
---

Spot the error?

Patch and source numbers start from zero, that goes for automatically numbered patches too. So there's an off by one in the application, and the latter %autopatch which is supposed to apply patches >= 2 simply has nothing to do, and falls through silently. That's a bug of course in itself, filed now: https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/issues/3093

The rest of the failures were simply using a common old source from who knows when, relying on implicitly defined printf(). So no hair-rising silent patch application failure bugs, thankfully.

We had a pretty good laugh over the whole thing once it unravelled. Cheers for the C modernization change work for unearthing these little buglets.

	- Panu -