Re: Enabling RPM based sysuser handling

On Fri, May 10, 2024 at 01:28:07PM +0200, Florian Festi wrote:
> Anyone interested in picking this up? I remember quite a few people
> being exited about this when it was announced with the rpm-4.19 Change.

I would be interested in making this happen.

You mentioned that the transition "requires some care". What are
the problems?

> This whole thing probably needs to be a Global Change involving a change
> to the Packaging Guidelines [4] and may be an Mass Package Change
> (although that might be avoided by changing the macros in
> systemd-rpm-macros to NOPs).

The macros are written in a way that if the user/group exist,
no operation is done. Thus, naively, I would think that if rpm
starts to create users and groups on its own, then the existing
scriptlets would become noops. That would mean that we could enable
the feature in rpm without any mass package changes first.

If the rpm approach works, I think it'd make sense to
a) change the macros to be noops,
b) do a mass package change to strip the scriptlets from all packages.
   That's probably the right thing to do for the rawhide branch, but
   as usual, the question becomes how to handle packages that use a
   common branch for older releases. But the Mass Change process is
   intended to deal with such cases.

Zbyszek