Re: Intent to start ARC investigation git-forge replacement

On Wed, 8 May 2024 at 10:17, Akashdeep Dhar <akashdeep.dhar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello folks,

It has been a couple of weeks since Tomas announced the requirements gathering phase and till now we have received about nine of those - all from Maxwell G (by the way, thanks for your inputs) in the Fedora ARC issue ticket[1].

I want to bump this up to folks' attention and ensure we account for as many usecase requirements as possible. Please take some time and let us know about it as comments under the ticket - multiple comments are totally fine.

It is going to be hard to make 'requirements' without knowing what is being done now and where with the current pagure system. A lot of functionality has been built in over a decade or so of improvements, and would only show up as 'oh we really required this' when comparing a built example of GitForge2 to current GitForge. Only a couple of people are going to know the internals of say fedpkg, pagure, packaging internals to speak to what is a 'requirement'. Most people are going to expect that 'whoever knows that' is going to answer, which then tends to be few answers at all. Having some sort of framework around what is expected can help elicit clearer input (especially when you leave out things and the usual suspects rattle on about 'clearly you have no idea how this works because you forgot about...')

If you agree with the usecase requirements mentioned in someone else's comment, please use the reactions to let us know of the importance of the same. Please take until 29th May 2024 to communicate your requirements with us.

As always, this thread can be responded to if you have any questions or concerns.

[1] - https://pagure.io/fedora-infra/arc/issue/164

Regards,
Akashdeep Dhar (he/him),
Red Hat Community Platform Engineering
Elected Representative, Fedora Council
t0xic0der@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
akashdeep@xxxxxxxxxx
TZ = Asia/Kolkata (UTC+05:30)

Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle. -- Ian MacClaren